Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Speed Work #4 and the Pursuit of Balance

I do believe I am out of my little funk. I had a great work out last night, though breathing is proving to be somewhat tasking these days. I choose to do my speed and tempo sessions on the treadmill, but I don't feel comfortable spitting into a tissue when the machines next to me are occupied. I even rarely spit when I'm running outside, so my indoor inhibitions are even greater.*


I originally wanted to head home right after I was done, and try to persuade H into running a couple of miles with me. I was a little anxious to do something active outside considering a lot of the summer seemed to have slipped right by me. Instead, we decided to meet up at the local bar for a beer and a quick dinner. I was hoping to land a spot at the tiki bar, but it was probably the humidity factor that made H drop anchor at the bar stool directly in front of the Mets game. I didn't mind too much - having a close up few of David Wright made up for it.

Although I was a little smelly and looking incredibly not cute sitting at the bar in my post work out state (short hair with curling tendencies that was cut for a straight style after a sweaty work out is not exactly a fabulous look), we definitely needed the little mid-week jaunt. I was concerned that my return to my training would consume my conscious hours, so I wouldn't have any time to share with H. Well, last night, the bar acted as a balance. If it should happen again, I'm definitely getting a quick rinse and real clothes to change into after the gym.

The only negative aspect of the jaunt is the stromboli we had for dinner, which is not a prescribed item on my meal plan. So, to balance THAT out, I got up early this morning for a quick four mile run. It felt great. Harder than it was before, but it still felt pretty damn good.

Tonight, another Power session and either a light evening run outside, or I hop back on the treadmill. It depends on the weather and my mood I guess. We shall see.

* For the non-runners in the world who deign to read my humble blog - spitting is about as normal as breathing and sweating when you're running. Gross, but true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Midweek jaunts are good.

Weekend jaunts are good.

Jaunting in general, good.