Tuesday, July 31, 2007

15 Miles and Some Cross Training

On Sunday, I decided to head to the gym for my distance run instead of taking it outdoors on account of fear of the eminent thunderstorms. On my way there, I saw three cyclists making an evenly paced break away in the opposite direction of where I was traveling. It was odd to see them riding in such a way, they weren't riding in a draft/pull configuration but more of an each man for himself sort of mentality. I soon understood why - they were riding to save their lives.

The sky had ripped open, and visibility was none existent about half a mile down the road. It was scary, but I was pleased with my treadmill decision because being caught in that storm would not have turned out well.

I intended to run a total of 20 miles, even though I was slated for 15. I felt strong enough to cover about 30 at my relatively slow pace. I started off at a mild 5.8 MPH, where my heart rate stayed between 75 and 78% of my max for the first ten miles. When I crossed over to the 11th mile, I turned it up to 6.0 MPH, and my heart rate held steady at 80%. Unfortunately, I had to get off the treadmill by mile 14 because I had ran out of water. The water fountain was off in another corner of the gym where the temperature was a lot cooler, and I felt my legs starting to tighten up.

By the time I climbed back on the treadmill, my leg muscles felt locked and I had lost my go. I tried to get it all started again, but after a mile struggling with the 6.0 MPH pace with a heart rate up at 85%, I knew the day was over.

In total, I covered 15 miles in about 2:45 ... and the best part? It felt good.

Last night, I struggled my way through Power and a cycling class. I was considering going home for a rest as I was on my way to the gym. Once I showed up, I was hardly energized to even consider putting two hours of work, but somehow ... I made it through.

Tonight is a Tempo Run. I hope I can find my go tonight.

No comments: