Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Tempo Run #9 and Finding My Go

I have no idea what I did or how I did it, but I found the go last night during my tempo run. It showed up completely by surprise too. The warm up was more difficult than I would have liked it to be, and within the first mile, my heart rate went up to 88% of my max at tempo. It felt like getting 2.5 miles out would be the most I could do, so I just started to adjust my thinking. I knew the pace was a bit fast, but I kept repeating to myself the remaining laps on a track that I had to complete. For whatever reason, thinking I have 7 laps to go is far less intimidating than knowing I have 1.75 miles remaining.

When I had completed 1.5 miles at tempo, I noticed my heart rate had dropped down to 85%, and it felt like I was actually hanging out down at 83%. That was when this thought came to mind: Maybe I can go another mile at this pace? Maybe I can do 4 miles? I know that I can do more than 3 … and that’s when I knew that I had found my go.

Crossing the third mile, my heart rate had climbed up to 91%, but it fell back to 88% when I had only a quarter of a mile remaining. The only thing I did differently this time around was consuming about half of the SuperPump half an hour before the run, and the rest about 10 minutes before the run. Maybe the element of time released magic was what gave me the go?

Tonight - Power with Debbie. I know not to plan on running or doing anything else tonight ...

No comments: